Phlebotomy 101: Introduction to Basic Phlebotomy – Phlebotomy, on its own, is a complete medical practice. Phlebotomy involves extracting blood from patients for further examination and tests. Once a vein is located and punctured with a needle, the phlebotomist collects a blood sample in a tube which is vacuum sealed with a rubber stopper. A phlebotomist is a person who must pierce an injection into the vein of the patient and take out a small amount of blood. Phlebotomy is the process of completing this task.
A phlebotomist must have the necessary eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity required to draw blood from a live person or animal. Some people, who have a high level of red blood cells or excess iron in their body, must visit a phlebotomist at regular intervals. The process of blood extraction keeps them healthy because excess iron in the body causes the liver to malfunction. Apart form that, anyone may require blood extraction for medical tests as prescribed by their physicians.
That was a brief introduction of Phlebotomy. If you require further information, you have come to the right place. In the ensuing paragraphs, you will get to learn a few things more about Phlebotomy 101. The information is very useful if you are looking for a different vocations in search of better pay. Basic Phlebotomy or Phlebotomy 101 is a course designed for providing basic instructions in this field. Phlebotomy 101 consists of following lessons: Basic Anatomy and Physiology: This lesson of Phlebotomy 101 consists of a general introduction of the human body. The main purpose of this lesson is to give a brief introduction of the human body and its anatomy.
Recommended Phlebotomy Schools :
- Hemodialysis Technician
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- ECG/Phlebotomy/Lab Assistant
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Medical Laboratory Technician
- Massage Therapy
- Business Administration
- Electronic Health Records
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Medical Assisting/Medical Clinical Assistant
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Surgical Technology
- Criminal Justice
- Commercial & Industrial Maintenance Technician
- IT Support Specialist
- Phlebotomist - Diploma
- Medical Laboratory Technician - Associate in Specialized Technology
The Jolie Academies can give you the skills, professional instruction, and hands-on training and you'll need to launch your career the rewarding cosmetology field.
The Berkeley Advantage®
Preparing students for professional and personal success is what Berkeley College is all about. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- Certificate in Patient Care Technician
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science - Pre-Physician Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science with a Concentration in Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science - Pre-Physical Therapy
- Medical Laboratory Assistant
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Patient Care Technician
1. Basic Infection Control: This lesson provides an introduction to the world of microorganisms and their ability to infect the human body. This lesson also introduces the ways of preventing these infections.
2. Safety and Occupational Risks: is a course that focuses on the awareness of hazards and dangers that are associated with Healthcare. This is particularly important for a phlebotomist since his/her daily duties involve being in direct contact with other peoples’ blood and body fluids. Disposal of Contaminated Needles and Blood Tube Holders Used for Phlebotomy.
3. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory. This is another important lesson of Phlebotomy 101. The main role of a phlebotomist is obtaining blood specimens. However, this lesson introduces the student to several other departments of the clinical laboratory and the tasks performed by each one of them.
4. Blood Collection Equipment: This Lesson of Phlebotomy 101 introduces the student to the equipment and devices that are being used for collecting blood samples.
5. The Routine Venipuncture: This lesson introduces the student of Phlebotomy 101 to the technique of performing venipuncture.
6. Skin Puncture in Adults, older children, infants and neonates: This lesson teaches students the use of skin puncture equipment and devices.
7. Potential Complications: This lesson impresses upon a student that phlebotomy procedures are mostly thought of as invasive and complication risks.
8. Point of Care testing: This lesson covers a brief history of laboratory analysis. Observe universal (standard) safety precautions.
9. Specimen Processing, Transporting and Disposal of Waste: This lesson seeks to introduce students to the procedures involved in the preparation of laboratory specimen that is later used for testing.