The tubes are collected in a specific order of priority, “order of draw”, to prevent the “carry over” of chemicals contained in each tube from contaminating other tubes. A specific methodology is applied to the color cap of the vacuum tube and the laboratory that the tube will be sent to. Phlebotomy jobs are considered fairly sensitive because the responsibility of a phlebotomist includes extracting blood without bringing harm to the patient or causing disturbance to the care that the patient is receiving from the medical staff. The job of the Phlebotomy also means ensuring that the blood is extracted correctly; blood samples are properly labeled and kept with care. The phlebotomist is also responsible for transportation of the specimen to the laboratory as per the requirement.
Some phlebotomists work on a part-time basis. Others combine phlebotomy with their role as a clinical assistant and /or support worker. Entry requirements for a phlebotomist : A certificate from an accredited institution will be required. Most medical institutions prefer hiring people with proper certification. Here is an example of Admission requirements & prerequisites. The applicant must meet the following criteria to be considered for admission into the Phlebotomy Technician certification program: Have graduated from high school, or earned a GED, Be at least 18 years of age, Read the Phlebotomy Technician Student Handbook, Drug Screening forms, etc… Phlebotomy technician salary varies with experience but they can earn a reasonably good salary comparable with other healthcare professions like nursing.
Recommended Phlebotomy Schools :
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Phlebotomy Jobs include procedures for extracting blood samples, laboratory safety, and anatomy. Some patients feel afraid when blood is extracted from their bodies. A person employed as a phlebotomist must be able to express caring and keep their composure while working with patients. Jobs include procedures for the importance of codes of practice and professional standards, blood extraction methods, the aspects of blood extraction, different sample tubes and labeling requirements. How to choose correct places for venepuncture. Moreover, In healthcare institutions a phlebotomist also needs to sterilize medical equipment ext. This should give you a good overview of what working as a phlebotomist is like.